The largest solar power plant in Nepal more frequently known as the solar power project in Jhapa is accelerating its construction speed. The project has a capacity of generating 10-megawatt electricity. The project also called “Jhapa Energy” is scheduled to be completed in the current fiscal year 2079/80.
The eco-friendly project is ongoing in Shivasatakshi Municipality-5, Salmara at the cost of Rs 80 crore at a land spanning 21 bigaha. The project operator Subash Bhattarai said the project should be completed by Ashar, 2080.
Also read: Solar Energy in Doti, Installation Done in 100 Households!
Who is investing in the largest solar power plant in Nepal?
Machhapuchchhre Bank and Civil Bank are jointly investing 75 percent into the Jhapa Energy project. The remaining 25 percent of funds have been gathered through shares.
“We are accelerating the construction work with the goal of completing it by next Ashar”, Mr. Bhattarai said, “The necessary materials are arriving at the construction site.”
Nepal Electricity Authority (NTA) has signed a deal to buy the generated electricity. The production will start soon after the construction completes.
Jhapa Energy Limited has already set up 960 meters of the transmission line to connect the energy it will produce to the national transmission line. Bhattarai said that high-tech solar panels and equipment will be installed in the project. The project will have the advanced solar panel and equipment installed.
Jhapa Energy and NEA signed an agreement on Mangsir on 12, 2078. It has been agreed upon that NEA will buy solar power at Rs 7.30 per unit.
Check out: Two EV Charging stations come into operation in Sarlahi
Jhapa Energy power project to produce 1.76-unit electricity
The historically large solar power project will produce over 1.76 crore units of power annually which the company expects will bring Rs 12.85 crore in revenues. It is the initial financial projection.
The project started under the vision of Lal Prasad Sanwa, the then member of the House of Representatives (HoR) of Jhapa Constituency No. 4.
At the moment, 29-megawatt solar power is being generated. By 2030, the company aims to increase its production to 1,000 megawatts.